Breast Reduction: When Being Well-Endowed Becomes a Problem
There’s no denying that a good number of women would want to improve the size of their breasts. This is clearly evident in last year’s statistics by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, wherein breast enhancement procedures ranked second in the top 5 most frequently performed surgical cosmetic procedures. Yet, it should be noted that there are also women who want the opposite — a reduction in breast size.
What drives these women to opt for breast reduction? At Dr. Buchanan’s practice in Highlands, North Carolina, the following concerns, ranging from physical to emotional to social, often urge young and old women alike to consider the surgery:
- chronic pain and discomfort in the neck, shoulders and back
- persistent skin irritation and/or chafing
- physical limitations such as breathing difficulties
- problems finding well-fitting undergarments and clothing
- painful grooves in the shoulder area due to bra straps digging into the shoulders
- reduced self-esteem and increased self-consciousness which in turn affects one’s interaction with others, career, etc
- being overweight due to failure to stick to an exercise routine (limited mobility)
- numbness of the arms
Planning for Your Breast Reduction with Dr. Buchanan
Dr. Buchanan’s approach to breast reduction surgery is to create a breast reduction plan that is tailored to your specific needs, goals, and preferences. Initially, a thorough physical assessment will be done including determining the extent of droop or sag of your breasts, the amount of skin elasticity around the area, breast symmetry, and positioning of the nipples and areolas (darkened or pigmented areas surrounding the nipples).
We are looking forward to an in-depth discussion with you if you’ve been considering breast reduction for a while now. We are located at 209 Hospital Drive, Suite 202, Highlands, NC. Call us at 828-526-3783 or fill out this contact form today to schedule an initial consultation. We look forward to helping you look and feel your best with breast reduction surgery!