What is the Right Amount of Filler for Me?
There are several benefits of getting fillers injected in one or more areas of the face. This nonsurgical treatment is sought by younger patients who wish to enhance the shape of their lips or cheeks and by older adults who would like to reverse many of the changes of aging. Fillers are even used to improve the appearance of the nose and are an integral aspect of the nonsurgical facelift. Still, there is a very real chance that you could be let down by your treatment. There are several reason this happens.One is that there are a huge number of injectors with little or inadequate training. Another is that patients rarely know how much filler they need to achieve their desired result, but attempt to dictate how much filler is used.
How much is enough?
Several factors contribute to the outcome of filler treatment. For this reason, it can be difficult to estimate just how much filler one person will need compared to another. For example, some people visit their provider with an idea that they need 1 syringe of filler to correct the flattening of their cheeks. They believe this because their friend obtained amazing results with just that much. After receiving their 1 syringe, the patient may feel dissatisfied that their cheeks don’t look like their friend’s. Why might this be?
- Fillers don’t affect everyone the same way. This is because each person has unique bone and muscle structure. Even side-sleeping can affect how the face looks on one side versus the other. These small details contribute to the outcome of filler treatment and also determine, to some degree, how much filler is needed by each person.
- The amount of volume loss (of both fatty tissue and bone) will also impact how much filler is needed to plump the area.
- The area that needs filling also partially determines how much filler is required.
Expectations are Everything
One of the most significant factors that translates into patient satisfaction is expectation. It is important to approach filler treatment with an open mind about what is and is not possible:
- Fillers can, occasionally, make you look 10 years younger, but only in certain circumstances. If done improperly, they can also make you look older.
- Filler treatment can round out cheeks and plump lips, but it will not tighten loose skin. In some cases, a slight lifting effect may occur, but this is not guaranteed.
- Results may last longer for some people. This is a matter of simple biology and how quickly the body will metabolize the inserted product.
See what fillers can do for you. Schedule an appointment to learn more in our Highlands, NC office at (828) 526-3783.