How Does Zerona Compare to Liposuction?
Body contouring is more than a trend, it is a technique that has helped millions of people feel better in their own skin. In our Highlands, NC plastic surgery practice, patients may explore fat-reducing options including liposuction and Zerona. One, as you know, requires a minimally invasive surgical technique. The other is a laser treatment that causes the spontaneous elimination of unwanted fat. Initially, many people lean toward one or the other because of the belief that it may be better. This isn’t necessarily the case.
We offer both surgical and nonsurgical fat-reduction options because every scenario is unique. Some people may achieve their desired outcome with Zerona, while other’s needs may be best met with liposuction. Here, we discuss how liposuction and Zerona work, as well as some of the advantages and disadvantages of each treatment option.
The surgical extraction of fat cells has been performed for many years. In the hands of a board-certified plastic surgeon, liposuction is one of the safest and most predictable surgical procedures. The technique can be performed on just about any part of the body. With improvements over the years, liposuction has become so precise and gentle that the procedure can be performed in the office using a local anesthetic and, if desired, a mild sedative. To reduce fatty tissue, liposuction involves the insertion of a small hollow tube (cannula) that is attached to a suction device. Only small, discreet incisions are needed to complete this body contouring procedure. Though swelling and bruising may occur, recovery from liposuction is generally rapid.
- Liposuction can reduce localized areas precisely without much wait time.
- It is, in fact, ideal for small areas of fat that you desire to lose.
- It is a one time procedure that takes only an hour or so.
- Fat cells are removed and will not grow back.
- Some form of local or other anesthesia is required and there is frequently some post operative discomfort, though this may easily be controlled with Tylenol.
- A few days of downtime may include swelling, bruising, and soreness.
- Irregularities like lumpiness are possible though unusual in expert hands. Treatment with a qualified physician is a must.
- Remaining fat cells can increase in size if a healthy lifestyle and eating habits are not maintained, though the area will not gain as much as other areas.
An FDA-cleared body contouring device, Zerona, safely and effectively targets unwanted fat using cold laser technology. When cold laser energy contacts fat cells, they open. Lipids in the fat cells move into intercellular space and become a part of the lymph, fluid that is naturally flushed from the body.
- Zerona is ideal for people who have larger or multiple areas that you desire to reduce.
- Zerona is completely noninvasive.
- No local anesthetic or sedation is needed as there is absolutely no sensation.
- Normal activities can be resumed immediately after treatment.
- Fat is flushed naturally, virtually eliminating the risk of irregularities.
- Zerona takes 3 sessions a week for 2-3 weeks to benefit fully.
- Zerona does not remove fat cells, it shrinks them. This could be an advantage and disadvantage in one. A healthy lifestyle is necessary to enjoy lasting results from treatment, but the brain frequently forgets its old appraisal of you so that it begins acting like you are the thinner person you have become. If this does not happen or you do not change your eating habits, you can regain what you lost.
- Fat reduction occurs naturally, which takes time. At least two weeks pass before Zerona patients begin to see results.