Based on scientific data, we recommend minimally as Basic Skin Care:
- Cleansing with a specially formulated gentle cleanser.
- Removal of the thickened, dry dead cell layer to restore moisture and remove weight by:
- Use of Alpha and/or Beta Hydroxyl exfoliant (available over-the–counter), and may be combined with the cleanser.
- Use of a use of a vibratory cleansing brush or stiff washcloth.
- Regular microdermabrasion, or
- Regular micro-peels from the Med-Spa.
- Restoration of normal pH, lipid cell wall and protective barrier by using:
- Specialized balancing toners
- Topical Vitamin-C Serum or
- Antioxidant Serum like SkinMedica TNS Advanced+ Serum
- Protection using a sunblock containing at least 8% clear Zinc Oxide, the only product that is practical since it lasts until washed or rubbed off, longer than the 1-2 hours of other UVA blocks and also protects you from UVB.
This is, essentially all you need for skin care unless you have an exceptional problem like Acne, another disease process, or significant aging or sun damage. All the things that the cosmetic industry tries to sell you are mostly either worthless or actually do harm. An example of a harmful product is a moisturizer. It actually discourages your skin from making its own moisture and weights the skin, encouraging wrinkles. Things like collagen or hyaluronic acid in a product can do nothing for you as their molecules are so large that there is no way they could ever be absorbed where they could affect the cell or be used to build new tissue.
Around 25-30 years of age, you should add something to the above to keep the cells making new collagen and elastic tissue since the body stops doing so naturally at about that age. We call this Basic Skin Care Plus. We add:
- A proven retinol, like Retivance® by Obagi® or Retinol Complex® by SkinMedica, or tretinoin (Retin-A) to stimulate collagen production.
- ELASTIderm® by Obagi®, presently patented and the only product at this time that has been proven to convert new collagen to elastin (elastic tissue).
- Botox® Cosmetic, which can reduce the underlying muscle contribution to the creation of wrinkles. (See below)
If significant problems are present, they must be addressed in addition to the above care. This can be a single addition or a combination of treatments. Skin health restoration IS A PROCESS, NOT A PRODUCT. Healthy skin is Smooth, Firm, Elastic, Evenly Pigmented, Hydrated and void of predisposing problems. To restore damaged skin to this condition, we:
- Begin with Basic Skin Care Plus as above.
- Correct Pigment by removing spots & making the rest of the skin a uniform color using:
- Hydroquinone, some botanicals, and, to some extent, topical Vitamin-C (the Obagi® Nu-Derm system combines Basic Skin Care Plus with Hydroquinone in such a way that they all work together 2-3 times more effectively than otherwise), occasionally supplemented with superficial no down time peels to speed the process or
- IPL (Intense Pulsed Light), a laser like machine.
- Remove abnormal blood vessels (called telangiectasia) using IPL.
- Remove muscle function that is increasing wrinkling using Botox® Cosmetic, where possible. Unfortunately, many muscles causing wrinkles cannot be treated as they are necessary for normal expression and eye or lip function.
- Remove wrinkles faster than possible with tretinoin alone with fruit acid peels, Phenol peels, or Laser resurfacing or, the least invasive method, filling them using Juvéderm™ Volbella and supporting and stiffening the dermis by crisscrossing with it or Juvéderm™ Vollure under the area of wrinkles. To speed the process even more, micro-needling can be added.
- Treat any severely damaged or premalignant cells by Cryotherapy (freezing), Photodynamic Therapy (use of a cell targeter and blue light), or chemotherapy like Imiquimod or 5FU (Efudex® or Fluroplex®).
- Treat the results of gravity and volume loss with surgery (such as Brow Lift Blepharoplasty, neck lift [facelift], and/or Lip Revision) or by adding volume to improve contour and smooth the skin and reduce wrinkles with injections of fat, Juvéderm Ultra™, Juvéderm Voluma™, Juvéderm Vollure™, Juvéderm Volbella™, or a combination (Today’s Liquid Lift™).