After Your Tummy Tuck – The 411
Saturday, April 30th, 2016
Spring is the perfect time to contemplate abdominoplasty (“tummy tuck”). The good news is that you will be swim-suit ready just in time for summer.
As with any major surgery, it’s important that you are clear about why you want the surgery and, of course, your expectations. Abdominoplasty comes with all the cautions and precautions that come with any surgery. Being well-informed is key to any cosmetic or plastic surgery procedure. Arm yourself with information. A consultation with one of our doctors will leave you feeling confident that you have made the correct decision. Here are a few things to consider:
- Let people take care of you. Don’t be a hero.
- Drink plenty of fluids and eat a healthy, clean, balanced diet.
- Take your pain meds as directed to stay ahead of the pain.
- Gently massage your tummy. This feels good and helps with circulation.
- Stay positive and be patient. There is an end to the healing process.
- Take a walk, go outside and get some sun to lift your spirits.
- Congratulate yourself for taking this step to improve your body and your life.
- Listen to your body. If something doesn’t feel right call your doctor.
- Lift anything heavy – including your kids or pets.
- Drive for at least a week.
- Clean your house or do the laundry – get help.
- Work in your garden – bending, stretching and pulling are not recommended.
- Grocery shop – pushing and lifting is not good for your incisions.
- Do any exercise other than walking – which is good for you in many ways.
- Eat processed and packaged foods – the sodium will make your tissues swell.
- Drink soda – it causes uncomfortable bloating and
- Weigh or measure yourself or try on clothes that you think will fit – take it slow; give it time.
- Listen to negative people.
Call to schedule a consultation appointment to discuss tummy tuck surgery with Dr. Buchanan – now is the perfect time: (828) 526-3783 or toll-free (877) 526-3784.